Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Giving Thanks and Cooking the Bird

Life can change for people in an instant, and unfortunately I was reminded of that today.  My dad's best friend, who was also a close family friend, passed away.  It's heartbreaking, not only for my dad who lost his long time friend, but more importantly -- his family.  I felt the need to preface this post about Thanksgiving with this: give thanks for the people you love, and let them know you love them, because like the song says... "life is short but sweet for certain."

Have I mentioned I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 8 people this year?   This will be the third year in a row, and I swear I've got this whole process down to a science.  I LOVE to cook, and Thanksgiving is the ultimate in cooking adventures. 


Excuse the mess on my kitchen table; this was a picture from my first year of Thanksgiving cooking (2007) -- and my kitchen was a disaster area!  I'm much more professional now (I even have a schedule of tasks -- I'm type A, duh), and I have time to clean up after myself and even watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, which I LOVE.

I get the majority of my recipes from the Food Network.  I freaking love the Food Network; I could watch that channel until my nose starts leaking butter (Paula Deen, anyone?)  Here's my menu:
  • Brined Roast Turkey - I've used Alton's recipe and method for brine for the past couple of years and I've NEVER had such delicious, juicy turkey!  It's so easy, and it seriously makes ALL the difference in the world.  We also buy a fresh farm raised turkey every year from a local orchard.  Definitely worth it!
  • Southern Cornbread Stuffing - I made this for the first time last year and it is amazzzing.  Notice in that picture above that I used STOVE TOP for the first year?  Blasphemy! (said my co-workers).  Now, I make it the old fashioned way.  You know, with an entire stick of butter. 
  • Homemade Mashed Potatoes - I have my own recipe.  Basically, golden potatoes, roasted garlic (processed into a paste) and tons of cream.  Oh, and you have to use a potato ricer or a food mill if you want good mashed taters.  TRUST.
  • Green Bean Casserole - The traditional kind -- although I may add some fresh mushrooms for a little extra somethin'.
  • Corn - With herbs and butter.
  • Cranberry Sauce - In the can.  Ocean Spray.  Yeah, I know... but we love it!
  • Biscuits
  • Pumpkin Pie and Pecan Pie - K's family makes these - not me.
I'm also thinking about making a cherry crisp, just because it sounds delicious. 

A couple of weeks ago K and I bought a new dining room table.  This is amazingly awesome for us, because we've had the same table and chairs that I bought from Wal-Mart when I was 19.  They were hammered, as you can imagine.  More importantly, the table only fit 4 people max. 

So, we bought a new set and I'm in loveee.  It's all decked out for Thanksgiving.  When I say "decked out" I mean borderline tacky.  That's how I roll with the holidays though -- go big or go home!




Tomorrow will consist of shopping. cleaning the rest of the house, brining the turkey and prepping food for Thursday.  If I don't post before then, have a fantastic Thanksgiving!  I'll report back with my Black Friday purchases (yes I'm a crazy person, and I go out at like 3:30 AM). 

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your dad's best friend. :(

    Your kitchen table looks like mine does at Thanksgiving. But mine looks like that every year! Alton's recipe is so good, but I think I'll try Pioneer Woman this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh oh, where did bad kitty's tree stand go? he won't be too happy! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum I want to come to your house for dinner!!!


    I am so sorry to hear about your dads friend. His family is in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  4. The menu sounds delicious but also, the dining room LOOKS AMAZINGGGG! That is my dream table. Great pic and great "tablescape!" (gag Sandra Lee GAG!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so sad about your best friend's dad, I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

    I made green bean casserole with mushrooms this year! I loooooved it, and will def. be making it again. Also, most adorable place mats ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad's friend. My dad lost a good friend around Thanksgiving a few years ago. Very, very tough.

    Everything you're making sounds delicious! I want to attempt Thanksgiving sooo bad but I'm not sure when I'll have the opportunity to do it :( Hopefully in the next few years. You should post your lists and schedule and stuff. That would be SO super helpful for newbies!

    ReplyDelete