Friday, July 30, 2010

Home Improvements

K and I purchased a townhouse together several years ago.  It suits us nicely for now, though we already have a burning itch to move.  Don't get me wrong, our neighborhood is really friendly, and our house is nice; we just want more space.  To get a house in a nice area of Pittsburgh that fits our needs (3-4 bedrooms, at least 2 bathrooms, maybe a garage?), would require a hefty down payment.  So, we plan on spending the next 1-2 years saving, so we can move on up.  In the meantime however... we have some plans to spruce up this old (town)house!

We've already accomplished a few nice and easy renovations.  Behold:

Our master bathroom sink, on the day we moved in.  Um, ew.
After. Ahhhh.  Much better!
To go from the 70's to modern times, all we had to do was replace the counter top (obvi), paint the cabinetry and add some pretty handles, install a new sink fixture, and paint the walls.  We went with a granite counter top from Home Depot.  It came in a standard size (easiness bonus), and made a perfect replacement.  Our sink fixture, also from Home Depot, was picked out by K (He loved that bamboo looking thing, I couldn't say no!).  K and his dad installed everything pretty easily in one evening.  I painted and put on the new handles the next day.  Voila, instantly awesome.

This leads me to our next task: repainting our bedroom wall.  Since we live in a townhouse, we have thick brick firewalls that separate us from our adjoining neighbors.  Since this house was obviously built with "70's chic" being the theme, the walls are exposed for your viewing pleasure.

Our bedroom, see that brick awesomeness against the back wall?!
 Well, 22 year old me thought that painting that back wall a deep red would look really nice with our new black and white bedding.  I agree with 22 year old me, I think it looks nice.  Getting it painted was another story.  My friend Miss Chelle and I spent 6 hours painting this wall.  No, I'm not exaggerating.  We had to put on 3 coats of primer, and 3 coats of paint.

Olive, my one-eyed cat, modeling our bedroom setup.
However, 3 years later, 25 year old me would like a change. New bedding for one, and a new wall.  The only question now is, what color?!

What home improvements are you currently working on? Something easy as a fresh coat of paint, or something a little more intense?

No comments:

Post a Comment