Thursday, July 29, 2010

Oh, hai. I'm married!

Hiyeee!  I'm Christina.  I'm 25, and living the exciting/good life in an awesome little-big city, Pittsburgh, PA.  I've been here for over 15 years, and while Pittsburgh and I have had our ups and downs, we're pretty sweet buddies now.  I'm newly married (as of this June!), to a wonderful man named K.  We've been together for almost 5 years, and they've been some of the best years of my life.  I loved wedding planning (minus the random drama with people who are invited/think they are invited... if you're married or engaged, you know what that crap is like!).  We had a pretty epic, fun-tastic, beautiful, awesome, omg-is-this-really-happening-holy-crap-this-is-sweet kind of day.  Don't believe me?  I've got proof:


Still don't believe me?  Well, that's all you're getting, so deal.  I kid, of course.  Long story short, we had a wonderful time at our wedding.  You know how people are always going on and on about how their wedding was "the best day of our lives!!"?  Well, for us, it was true.  To commit to each other in such a romantic and meaningful way, was just amazing.  To be surrounded by family and friends and to literally feel their love and support radiating from their teary eyes and big smiles was just the best.

Weddings are a big business, filled with tons of options for the couple with the Natty Light budget (mmm beer pong...), up to the Cristal budget.

Yes, we absolutely had Cristal at our wedding.  However, it was only one bottle, purchased by a groomsman, and it certainly didn't represent our budget... although it was pretty freakin' sweet.
No matter how little, or how much you spend, a wedding is something special!  I get tired of hearing people go on and on about how they can't believe that people would spend over $10,000/$20,000/$30,000 on "ONE DAY" and how naive and fiscally irresponsible people who do this must be.  I'm also tired of hearing people go on about how "tacky/cheap" things look when you go against the grain and cut costs through DIY or non-traditional ideas.  Well, whatever.   If you prefer a small, inexpensive wedding, go for it.  (My mom had her reception in her cousin's backyard).  If you prefer a huge, elaborate wedding (and you can afford it), to each their own!  Our wedding was pretty average, not inexpensive... but not a budget buster either.  We saved and saved, then saved a little bit more... and the final result was worth pretty much every dollar and minute of planning.  I consider myself a  pretty awesome planner (read: I'm type A), and I'd love to share some tips/advice/general "been there, done that" knowledge I've attained along the way.  Not tonight though. (The second season of the Jersey Shore is on tonight, cut me a break, ok?!).

Not to sound like a fortune cookie... but no matter what, at the end of the day, your memories are worth their weight in gold.  At least they are for us.

Which memory stands out as one of the best moments of your day?  If you're still planning, which moment are you most looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment