Monday, November 29, 2010

Black Friday, and I've got Christmas fever.

I'm happy to report that Thanksgiving was amazing!  The food was wonderful and we had a great time with our families.  I pulled off cooking everything without a hitch... well except for one minor hitch (though at the moment I thought it was a HUGE deal).

I cooked the bird upside down. 

When I put the bird in the oven initially, I obviously wasn't awake.  I set it on the roasting pan breast side down. 

When I pulled out the bird after 2.5 hours I realized my error... and almost passed the hell out.

So what did I do?  I googled that ish faster than you can say "thanksgiving pizza."  Turns out, it's FINE to cook it that way. In fact, many chefs recommend cooking the bird breast down side for the first few hours, because it makes for juicer white meat!

So, I flipped the bird back upright, based him with butter, and cooked him for another hour on a higher temp.

Let me just say... best. turkey. EVER.  Best error/fail ever!  I'll always do it that way from now on.  I wish I had pictures, but I was too busy to take any.  I'll make it up to you below... I'm warning you now, the rest of this post is Christmas overload.

I'm in FULL Christmas mode over here!  Black Friday really set me in gear; my friend L and I went out at midnight Friday morning and shopped til around 6:30 AM.  I know it sounds (completely) crazy, but I got almost all of my Christmas shopping done!  Listen, I don't stand in lines for hours outside of stores... so I'm not over the edge - YET. 

This weekend was also pretty eventful in that we got a lot of decorating done.  I was all about it on Friday (obvi, I didn't waste any time). 


Ok, Ok, so the tree was already up.  We put it up last weekend.  Before Thanksgiving.  Shameful, I know.  Now that I have that off my chest, how about taking a peek at my favorite Christmas ornament?


Why yes, that is a Fraggle Rock ornament from 1985.  My parents bought it for me when I was born.  How awesome, right?!
Our "First Christmas" ornament.  It's a s'more, if you couldn't tell.


While we're at it...


In other news, I did manage to be crafty this weekend.

Yes... me!  Crafty!

I had been looking everywhere for a new Christmas wreath.  No such luck.  Couldn't find one for under $40 that I actually liked.  So I made one.


It was so easy.  All I did was buy a plain (fake) wreath for $4 at Michael's,  along with some little holiday bulbs from their $1 bin, berries, and some ting-ting type stuff for a couple bucks a pop, and voila!  Wreath magic.

I decorated everywhere in our house.  I even decorated in our downstairs bathroom.

Speaking of my bathroom, is this weird?


See that picture?  I had nowhere to put it in our house.  So into the bathroom it went.  Now, if you "use the facilities" you get a smiling picture of my bridesmaids and I.  I find it amusing :)


K and I worked all day yesterday to get the outside of the house done.  I'm not going to show you the whole outside of the house though... because it's sadly not done yet.  We still have some things to replace and finish.  However, I will say that I was VERY happy this evening when I went outside and saw this:


THIS just happens to be my favorite decoration EVER.  This is my ice cube frosty, and we bought him for the first Christmas K and I shared together.  Sadly, when I plugged him in yesterday he didn't light up all the way.  I had a mini-frosty meltdown (pun intended).  I hoped that he would magically come back to life... and guess what?  Well you already know because you just looked at that picture.  FROSTY LIVES.


I'm back to school this week (booo) so posting may be light this week.  I hope you guys had an awesome Thanksgiving!  Anyone else already preparing for the holidays?

10 comments:

  1. Love all your holiday decorations!! Especially your fraggle rock ornament! Woot for '85 babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black Friday is always my kickoff to the Christmas season. I'm totally jealous of your Fraggle Rock ornament...wonder if I could find one online somewhere. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fraggle rock! That brings back memories. Your tree is gorgeous; I'm jealous! We're still trying to figure out if we have room for a tree in this apt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read more posts like this. I'm seriously lacking in Christmas/holiday spirit.

    All of your decorations are ADORABLE, though. Except the Steelers ornament. As a Cleveland fan I just can't endorse that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is too funny! So glad it turned out yummy! And I love your tree. It's gorgeous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your decoarations! Your tree is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your decorations are fantastic! And what a great tip about cooking the turkey that way, anything to get it juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your tree, Mr. Frosty...I love that he is cubed! The steelers ornament...AWESOME, and so cute! LOL! I like the picture in your bathroom! It will give everyone a smile! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love ALL of this. First of all that's hilarious about your turkey!!! And I love your decorations to death. Mr Frosty is so cute and you have some amazing ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AHHHH!!! That Frosty is the cutest thing I've ever seeeeen!!!

    ReplyDelete