Monday, December 13, 2010

Eating Better, Shopping Better

I'm making an effort to cook foods that are good for K and I.  We have a tendency to be lazy, and go with convenience over quality.  I do cook homemade meals during the week, but fast food also makes an appearance usually twice a week - paired with eating out on the weekends.  Convenience doesn't always equal savings either - $20 here and $20 there for dinners and lunches add up.  Fast.

So, to start, I'm attempting to make better decisions in buying groceries.  Tonight, I did pretty well.  Here's my grocery receipt:

Quart 2% milk - $1.09 (We use it mainly for cooking).
Gorton's grilled filets of fish - $4.00
Sargento cheese sticks - $3.50
Sliced white mushrooms - $2.69
Zucchini - $1.41
Red peppers (2) - $2.90
Sweet Onion - $.86
Brown Rice - $2.00
Organic couscous - $3.29
Black Jewell butter popcorn (no hydrogenated oils) - $3.49
All natural boneless pork chops (4) - $3.71
Turkey tenderloins (2) - $8.30
All natural boneless chicken breasts (3) - $5.79
Pasta Sauce (all natural) - $4.99
Simply POM juice (by Minute Maid) - $3.00

Total: $51.02

Pretty good, right? That's enough for 5-6 dinners (of course using a few things I already have).

I wish I could develop a menu using mostly/all vegetables.  They're obviously really good for you, but beyond that - they're freakin' cheap! 

Tonight, I sauteed the mushrooms, red peppers, zucchini, and onion in a little of my basil olive oil with some spices.  I cooked the brown rice on the side and served the veggies over the brown rice.  Still very delicious and pretty healthy!



The turkey, pork, and chicken will make up 3 more meals.  I'll serve whole grain pasta with my pasta sauce.  The frozen fish will work well with rice.  I'll probably serve the couscous with the pork (?).  I buy frozen steamfresh veggies like it's my job - so I'll be using those this week too.  My freezer is packed with them!  The popcorn is a yummy snack, as are the cheese sticks.

I'm also currently obsessed with Greek yogurt.


Strawberry, pomegranate... even caramel (which is pretty good!).

This yogurt tends to fill me up more than regular yogurt.  I love mixing granola with it!

What do you do to eat healthier?

By the way... I may or may not have had 3 double stuffed oreos for dessert.  I fail.

2 comments:

  1. You did awesome! That's a great price on pork chops too. We've started getting a lot of our meats from Costco and have noticed a difference in how low our weekly grocery bills have become.

    Love your use of couscous. I'll have to make it one night for hubs, not sure he's ever had it.

    I too have a freezer full of those steam fresh veggies. They're so easy to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh i just started getting greek yogurt yum!!!

    ReplyDelete