Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Parle Francais?

I knew that French and Dutch were Belgium's two official languages, but I guess I didn't expect pretty much EVERYONE I encountered to speak French!  I'm definitely not complaining; I love the French language.  I could listen to people speak in French all day.  Je parle un peu de Francais... I can speak enough to order in a restaurant and ask directions, but I get confused rather quickly.  I prefer to read and listen.

Anyway, I had a lovely breakfast in my hotel room this morning.  Poached Eggs on toast and lots of bacon.


I also had some oranges and orange juice.  The oranges were so vibrant, but slightly bitter, not very sweet.


After a productive day at the office, I decided to go for a big excursion.  I had a waffle FAIL, that I will explain tomorrow... but I got to see two things that were on my list of sights to see!

First, La Grand Place.  The actual square.  It is SO amazing.






Next, of course, I had to see Mannekin Pis.  If you've never heard of it before, allow Wikipedia to explain:

     "(literally little man pee in Dutch, also known in French as le Petit Julien), is a famous Brussels landmark. It is a small bronze fountain sculpture depicting a naked little boy urinating into the fountain's basin. It was designed by Jerome Duquesnoy and put in place in 1618 or 1619.[1] It bears a similar cultural significance as Copenhagen's Little Mermaid."

Yes, it is a statue of a boy.  He "pees" water.  It's probably the most famous thing in Brussels, amazingly.


So odd, but so funny.  Of course, there are lots of souvenirs in his likeness.

 
Yes, those are WINE OPENERS.  HA.  Brussels has a sense of humor, that's for sure!


Like I said, I failed with waffles today, but I'll make up for it tomorrow!  Promise.  You don't want to miss these things.  They look crazy delicious.

3 comments:

  1. The pictures are gorgeous!!! The food looks amazing!!! How fantastic! I love that Brussels has a sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boooo for the waffle fail! Darn you Brussels! {SHAKES FIST} And I can tell you that I don't want that cork screw as my souvenir. You can pick something else out for me though. ;)

    ReplyDelete