Monday, September 27, 2010

Honeymooners Part 1: Paradise Found. Har, Har.

Well, no more wedding recaps, but I can now entertain you with a million pictures from our honeymoon!  Yay!  It's your lucky day.  I'm going to split this up so you don't fall asleep halfway through.  K?  K.

We decided to spend a week at an all-inclusive resort in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.  We picked Secrets Capri.

I can't even LOOK at that website without feeling this huge sense of sadness. I miss this place so much!  It was, in a word, amazing.

An uneventful flight followed by a quick stop through customs, and we were ready to begin our adventure!  We booked our honeymoon through a local Apple Vacations rep, and had arranged for a private transfer to our resort. Good choice on our part, as we really didn't want to wait while other people were dropped off.

While we were waiting for the car, we indulged in $8 Coronas at a bar by the car pickup area (it's Cancun airport, what do you expect?). When the car arrived, we asked our driver if we could bring them along for the ride.  He looked at us like we were insane and said "You're on vacation in Mexico.  Do whatever you want!"  Well, OK then sir.

We were checked in quickly, and a nice resort representative showed us all around. 

They even decorated our door!
The resort staff fixed up our room to make it honeymoon worthy.



Our room was gigantic.  I wish I took more pictures.  It had a huge bathroom with a sunken tub (that we didn't use), a separate toilet area, glass shower and double sink.  The bedroom area had a king sized bed (mattress was a little firm for my liking), with a sitting area and balcony with a limited ocean view.

We poked around, and then set off for dinner.  It was pretty late (like 9:30), so we were kind of limited on things to do the first night.  We were freaking exhausted anyway, so that was fine with us. We passed out and were up bright and early for our first full day of adventures!

First thing I did was check out the view from our balcony.  Oh man.  Mexico takes my breath away.



We headed out to breakfast.  Every. Single. Morning we ate at the breakfast buffet.  I despise and loathe anything with the word "buffet" in it, but I'll tell you what, this hotel's food was to die for!  I had a mimosa with breakfast every morning.  I miss those mornings.


Next up, the GIANT resort pool.  This was our routine every single morning:  Grab floats at the pool.


Read Sookie Stackhouse novels in the pool on the floats.


 Put books down, sit at swim up bar, and let Juan make us the most excellent frozen mixed drinks.


Iceberg = Corona with frozen margarita mix on top to keep it cool.  Amazeballs.  He also made me a special strawberry champagne cocktail (or 5), that may, or may not, have put me on my ass in the middle of the afternoon.  Just sayin'.  He drew hearts on top of it with chocolate syrup.  I love Juan.


Around 12, we'd mosey over to the beach and lay out by the ocean.  Servers cater to your every whim while you lounge, and they'll bring you whatever you'd like for lunch.  We'd order from them, or grab something from the guy grilling lunch on the beach.


After hours of relaxation, we would usually rinse off, and spend the rest of the afternoon in the pool at the swim up bar.  They play bingo at the bar at 5:00.  I love bingo.

We ate at a different restaurant every night.  Check back for a TON of food pictures, you've been warned.  Oh, and I met a monkey.  A real live monkey.  He sat on our shoulders and crossed his legs.  See, now you HAVE to read my next post.  More tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. I'm oober jealous, this place looks gorgeous. We haven't gone on our honeymoon yet so I'm anxious to see more pics! Maybe I'll lobby for Mexico. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM those drinks sound wonderful!!! I went with pretty much 100% mudslides (which were MUCH lighter than the creamy ones here in the US) because anythign else put me straight on my ass. I would like to be there again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so amazing! I know what you mean. Looking at my photos brings me immense joy but also great sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How gorgeous! The water looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete