Thursday, September 23, 2010

A little story.

I am not fond of bugs or other small creatures.

DISLIKE.

This is why I'm glad we have these:


Sometimes, they kill bugs for me.  Sometimes.  Unless it's a stink bug.  They actually gag when they get near a stink bug.  Me too, guys.  Me too.

Occasionally, a field mouse will get into our house.  K likes to tell me that since we've seen four mice in our three years of living here, there may be more mice hiding in the walls.  I like to ignore him, because I enjoy sleeping at night.

When a mouse gets into our house, our cats enjoy chasing it, but they are typically too well-fed by us to find any incentive to kill them.  Instead, they chase them into the kitchen.  The mouse runs under the stove, and then the cats sit there and stare.  I cry and call everyone in my phone book, while I perch on top of my couch.


Keeping in mind how this routine goes, one evening, I was putting away dishes in my kitchen when I saw my cats in that same position by the stove.  They were pawing at something little and dark.  I FREAKED OUT, which consisted of screaming, swearing, and running all the way upstairs into our computer room and slamming the door shut.

I called K and yelled unintelligible things about a mouse being in the kitchen and "please get home soon so you can take care of it!"  He was still at work, so I sat in that room for about three hours until he got home. 

I heard him open the front door, take off his shoes, and walk towards the kitchen.

Then, I heard...

Laughter.  Laughter like I had never heard from him before.

He came upstairs.  He was literally crying he was laughing so hard.

Me: "WHAT is so funny?!  Did you find the mouse?!  Is it dead???"

K: [between gasps] "You have to be kidding me."

Me: "Kidding you about what?!  Seriously K, is the mouse down there??"

K: "Will you come downstairs, please?"

So, I walked downstairs and into the kitchen.

Oops.


That, my friends, is a rubber, purple toy rhinoceros. 

A PURPLE TOY RHINO.

I HID in a room for THREE HOURS from a rubber TOY.

True story.  So, when I tell you I'm afraid of bugs and little creatures, I'm not exaggerating.

I would ask you guys if you've ever hid in a room from a fake killer mouse, but the answer is probably "no."

Happy Thursday :)

10 comments:

  1. Oh girlfriend...I would do the SAME thing. In fact, I have done the same thing, but it was at my mom's house and there were no cats and the mouse was ON TOP OF THE STOVE. As in, in between the burners. It was bad...really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, aw... I would likely do the same thing! But, hey at least there wasn't a mouse in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWW!! Well seeing your cats in the lets chase the mouse position would scare me too! I remember when I saw a mouse for the first time in my house growing up and I freaked out and told my sister about it and she laughed at me...guess she wasn't afraid like I was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahah too funny!
    Mice I can handle, cockroaches on the other hand - HELL NO! I don't blame you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Emily: ON the stove?! That is waaaay worse than under.

    @Emily Ann: Very, very true! Just a rubber toy.

    D.Marie: Mice are scary! I get laughed at too, it's ok :)

    @Jessica: OHMYGOD if I EVER saw a roach in our house, I'd move.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahaha! This was awesome. :)

    I once ran screaming from the shower, totally naked, begging Josh to go see what black thing (surely a giant, hairy spider) had fallen from my towel while I was using it! I dropped it on the floor of the shower and took off....he went in and yeah, I heard laughter. Guffawing. It was string.

    String. I felt like an idiot. I may have cried, a little. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Layla: HAHA! That is SO something I would have done too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha thanks for making me laugh!
    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY!!! You sound like me.... last year I hid from a fake spider.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I just found your blog and this store made me smile! You and I are so alike!!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete