Thursday, September 30, 2010

Olive

K and I have 2 cats, Chewy (Bad Kitty), and Olive.


Olive had a hard beginning to her life.  At a few months old, she was initially adopted out to a moron person who decided that they couldn't be bothered with taking her to the vet for an upper respiratory infection.   Her right eye became extremely infected.  The person brought her back to the shelter and said "there's something wrong with this cat, I want a new one."

Needless to say, they didn't get a new cat.  The veterinarian had to remove her right eye, due to the severity of the infection.

Olive, 2008
The shelter put her up for adoption, and my cat obsessed husband (I created a monster) saw her online and decided we HAD to adopt her.  "Who else is going to adopt a little kitten with one eye?"

So, adopt her we did!  She is one of the sweetest animals I've ever known.  A little flighty, but I'd be flighty too, if I only had one eye.


K named her Olive, because her one eye is bright green... like an olive.

All of our animals are shelter rescues.  It makes us feel good to save a life!

Have you ever adopted an animal from a shelter or rescue league?

10 comments:

  1. soooo cute we rescued our kitten but from a vets office. She was dropped off and needed a home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, she's so cute! We got our brown tabby Libby from the shelter. She was picked up from the shelter as a kitten, but after a few years was returned because her owners said they couldn't afford to keep her bc of her chronic UTIs. We thought, we gotta take her! And guess what? Since we've had her, she's never had a UTI; it's called TAKE CARE OF YOUR PETS PEOPLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO CUTE!!! Aww I want a one-eyed kitty! Our cats are adopted and I'm very vocal about my pro-adoption stance when it comes to pets. Also, I'm not allowed to go on Pet Finder anymore. It's more of a self-imposed ban than something Josh made me do, but oh lord, I'd have 6 cats and 4 dogs if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I love her! She looks like she is winking at you all the time! ♥ Did you put that pic with the Steelers Terrible Towel up for me?! LOVE IT! Your cat loves the right football teams! Thats awesome that you guys adopt your animals and that you picked her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TeenageBride: I'm sure she is grateful!

    @Maria: Good for you! I agree wholeheartedly; people need to take responsibility for the pets they have.

    @Emily: Haha, K is banned from Petfinder too! He actually found Olive on there. His life goal is to be a crazy cat man.

    @D.Marie: Yes, that picture was of COURSE for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well isn't Olive just the cutest kitty!
    My cats are both rescued (Feebee was sick and the animal shelter didn't even care, she was near death by the time we took her home! Luckily we saved her life! And my Siameses mix I rescued from crazy people at a flea market!) And my dog, Maxwell is rescued from the pound, and my chickens are rescued as well!

    And I just got a Guinea Pig, she came from Pet's Smart..

    But rescued pet's make the BEST pets!

    And i'm a new follower of yours, so I can see more pictures of your kitty's ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful!! I love Olive. She looks like she's always winking at you. ;) I'm so glad you only get rescues. And, I can't believe that idiot took her back and tried to exchange her. *face palm*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, this is the sweetest thing ever! We have 2 shelter dogs, and I swear they seriously make the best pets ever. And, I am always so happy that we were able to rescue them. One of our dogs had been adopted, then returned to the shelter because she "got too big" (she weighs 35 lbs, and they got her when she was a puppy, what did they expect!), but she's super happy now, so I guess it was meant to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog -- I love it! I'm getting married in May AND by the looks of your Terrible Towel --- we'll be perfect friends :) Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I love her. And I love that your hubby said that about adopting her. We get a lot of that kind of rescue in our pug rescue. One looked like a rat and was half hairless and one-eyed, and the pound said "do you still want her?" when presenting her. Cry cry cry. So glad you rescue :)

    ReplyDelete