Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Burgh Wedding: We Officially Get Married

It was time!  K and I had been together for four and a half years, and we were finally going to become husband and wife!  My bridesmaids and I waited below the church for our cue to come up (after everyone had already been seated).  We had a church coordinator, who was there to help us with our cues and placement.  She was VERY serious about her job.  Do not mess with the little, elderly parish ladies who do wedding coordination.  One of my bridesmaids made the mistake of going upstairs to say hello to her family, and Mrs. WC was NOT having it.  She scolded her for being out in "public" as nobody "was supposed to see her yet!!" Hmm... I thought that rule was just for the bride, but what do I know?

Anyway, she told us when to come upstairs to line up, and we obeyed.  Everyone was getting a little nervous at this point.  I was amazingly calm all day, until I got to the top of the stairs, outside of the church doors.  I got a little emotional, tearing up and saying to MOH C, "I can't believe this is finally happening!  I'm about to get married!"  Well, that was a mistake.  MOH C lost all color in her face and had a mini panic attack.  (Sorry, C, it's part of the story)!  She had been holding back her nerves all day long, and my little moment of emotion kinda set her over the edge!  I spent the next few minutes calming her down and making her drink some water.  Honestly, her nervousness kept ME calm, because I went into "reassure mode."  She pulled herself together though, I met up with my dad, and the ceremony started.

Annnd I lost it again.
I guess I never considered what the walk down the aisle would actually be like.  As soon as I walked out in front of those doors with my dad, and 'Canon in D' started to play, my emotions were on overload.  I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or smile at everyone, so I did all of the above.  It makes for some very interesting pictures.

The ceremony was beautiful.  Our soloist, My one MOH's little sister, sang Ave Maria and Panis Angelicus.  When she started singing, I teared up all over again.  If I can get tech savvy enough, I'm gonna post a video clip of when she started singing at our ceremony, it will blow your mind.

The ceremony wasn't without problems, although it didn't matter to us one bit.  K and I had no idea where to go, or what to do, so the priest was constantly whispering cues at us.  Also, we forgot the flowers for Mary (whoops), so the priest had an altar server run back to the rectory and grab my toss bouquet to give to Mary.

This picture still makes me laugh.  What a fail on our part.
 See this picture?  Notice how K is missing?  Well, when this picture was snapped, he was busy doing a one-man receiving line.  I told him we should skip the receiving line, so that we could hurry and get pictures, and make it to the reception on time.  We were going to go to each table at the reception to say hello, so I figured it was double work to do both, right?  Well, he agreed, and that was the end of the story.

When we walked out of the church, all of the attendants and I walked back up to the front of the church to meet for the posed pictures.  K, however, got caught at the back of the church by the door, and ended up greeting everyone as they left the church.  I felt SO BAD.  What a bad, antisocial wife!  If I had known that was going on, I would have joined him.  But, I didn't, and it turns out he didn't even know what a receiving line was; he just thought he was being nice.  Oh, husband.

That was the last fail of the evening; everything else went off without a hitch.  Well, except for when we crashed a high school graduation party to get pictures.  More on that next!

1 comment:

  1. We didn't do a receiving line either, and I'm glad! We only had five hours from start to finish... crunched time! Haha. You look gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete